Etta is an elegant fitted dress, shaped with darts at the bust, waist and shoulders. Sleek and flattering, it has a choice of lined cap sleeves or darted three-quarter length sleeves, high-back or stunning V-back neckline, with optional collar and faux pockets. Etta closes with an invisible zip at the back. The hemline hits the bottom of the knee, with a kick pleat for easy movement.
Like all Tilly and the Buttons sewing patterns, Etta includes easy-to-follow instructions with photos showing you how to sew each step – making it easy for you to create gorgeous clothes you can be proud to say you made yourself.
SKILL LEVEL - Confident beginners
ONLINE WORKSHOP - Want some extra help sewing Etta? Sign up to our online video workshop - Sew Your Own Knockout Dress - and Tilly will take you through inserting an invisible zip, shaping with darts, setting in sleeves and more. Choose from a printed or digital pattern included in the course materials.
FABRIC SUGGESTIONS – Medium weight, non-drapey fabrics, preferably with stretch for comfort. Try stretch woven cotton, sateen, triple crepe, crepe-back satin, ponte di roma or jacquard knits. The cap sleeve version would also work nicely in brocade.
- Fabric - Cap sleeve – 2m (2¼ yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR Sizes 1-4: 2.3m (2 5/8 yards) x 115cm (45in) OR Sizes 5-8: 3.1m (3 3/8 yards) x 115cm (45in) wide
3/4 sleeve – 2.3m (2 5/8 yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR Sizes 1-4: 2.8m (3¼ yards) x 115cm (45in) wide OR Sizes 5-8: 3.4m (3 3/4 yards) x 115cm (45in) wide
(0.5m [5/8 yards] less for collarless versions)
- Matching thread
- 0.6m (3/4 yard) interfacing (similar weight to your fabric)
- 56cm (22in) invisible zip
- Hook and eye
- Cap sleeve version: 1.2m (1 3/8 yards) x 10-13mm (3/8–½in) single fold bias binding
- Optional: 2 x 1-2cm (½–¾in) buttons for faux pockets
- Sewing machine and tools, incl invisible zip foot